The DataCite EZ API was launched in March 2018 and allows users to register DataCite DOIs and associated metadata. The API is compatible with the EZID API from the California Digital Library and is intended for previous users of that API. However, the DataCite Metadata Store (MDS) API is the default API for registering DataCite DOIs. The API requires authentication. To become a member, interested parties should contact DataCite support.
To retrieve DOI metadata records users should use our DataCite REST API, which provides better performance, better query options, and doesn't require authentication.
All requests to the EZ API require authentication. For this reason, only traffic via a secure connection (HTTPS) is supported. The DataCite EZ API uses HTTP Basic authentication.
To start interacting with our DataCite Metadata Store (MDS) API you must request an account:
- If you are a DataCite Provider, DataCite will provide you a username and password
- If you are a DataCite Client, your Provider will provide you a username and password
- If you are not yet a DataCite Provider or Client, you can obtain test credentials
Remember our accounts have basic security constraints:
- you will be allowed to register DOI names only under the prefixes that have been assigned to you
- your DOI names can only refer to URLs under host domains you control
- you must use your Client account for registering doi's providers can not register DOI's
- usernames must be passed in lowercase
The DataCite EZ API can be used directly by making HTTP requests with packages such as cURL. Besides using the API directly there are a number of wrappers for the API that you can install to create DataCite DOIs. Please review the documentation of the respective package for installation instructions, and make sure you point your client to https://ez.datacite.org instead of https://ezid.cdlib.org.
- EZID (Python) - https://ezid.cdlib.org/doc/apidoc.html#python-command-line-tool
- EZID Client (Ruby) - https://github.com/duke-libraries/ezid-client
- EZID-PHP (PHP) - https://github.com/olendorf/ezid-php
The EZ API supports the deposition of metadata in DataCite XML format followin the DataCite metadata schema. This must be passed to the API via the ANVL format, i.e. with proper escaping of new lines and colons (which have special meaning in ANVL). For example:
_target: https%3A//example.org/abc datacite: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>%0A<resource xmlns="http%3A//datacite.org/schema/kernel-3" ...
When specifying the DataCite metadata profile it is important you send the correct resource type for the DOI you are registering, in some cases third party libraries (as above) may put defaults that are invalid e.g. "Book"
Using cURL it is easiest to create a data file e.g. "payload.txt" and in that put your ANVL formatted request (see above).
You can then make a call like
curl --user xxx:xxx -X POST -H 'Content-Type: text/plain' --data-binary @payload.txt https://ez.test.datacite.org/shoulder/doi:10.5072
Would you like to know more?
If you have any questions, requests or ideas please contact us!