Access the DataCite Statistics web interface here: http://stats.datacite.org
DataCite provides statistics for both DOI registrations and DOI resolutions, filtered by Member or Repository via our DataCite Metadata Stats service. The data is displayed is sent to DataCite via CNRI and is updated regularly.
Registration statistics relate to datasets that have been uploaded and received a DataCite DOI, while resolution statistics provide information on how often a DOI has been accessed.
The DataCite Stats portal is open and freely accessible. Members, Repositories, and the whole community can check the information provided, compare it and reuse it to extract conclusions.
The top left tab of the interface provides access to the registration stats by Member.
Using the arrows on each column, it is possible to sort the results, one characteristic at a time, for example by number of total DOI registrations:
By clicking the name of a Member, you can display all the repositories working with the selected Member. The breadcrumbs above the table (pictured below as "Statistics / ANDS") will allow you to backtrack to a less filtered state.
The second tab from the left provides access to the registration stats by Repository.
This is a long list of more than 1000 Repositories. Using the arrows on each column, it is possible to sort the results one characteristic at a time, for example by number of DOIs registered this month.
By clicking the name of a Repository, you can display all the prefixes used by the selected Repository. The breadcrumbs above the table (pictured below as "Statistics / DATACITE.BLOG") will allow you to backtrack to a less filtered state.
Regarding the information displayed, each column contains:
- Total attempted: Number of DOI resolutions requested during the selected month under the selected prefix, the number of times someone used the DOI to access the resource.
- Successful: Out of the total attempted, how many times it was possible to resolve the DOI name correctly.
- Failed: Out of the total attempted, how many times it was not possible to resolve the DOI name correctly. Note that this may be because the attempted DOI does not exist.
(Successful + Failed = Total attempted)
- Total unique DOIs: Number of different DOIs attempted during the selected month under the selected prefix.
- Unique DOI successes: Out of the total unique DOIs requested, how many were successfully resolved every time they were requested.
- Unique DOI failures: Out of the total unique DOIs requested, how many were not successfully resolved.
(Unique DOI successes + Unique DOI failures = Total unique DOIs)
Top 10 DOIs, successes: The 10 DOI names that were successfully resolved the most times during the selected period. These results are linked, so it is easy to resolve the DOI or check its metadata form the interface.
Top 10 DOIs, failures: The 10 DOI names under the current prefix that couldn't be resolved. This list useful to find wrong links (codification problems, transcription mistakes, etc.) and fix them. The results are also linked, so it is easy to test and report the problem.
You can download a CSV of the information you're looking at by clicking on the Download CSV button.
The CSV will contain all the information that is currently on the screen. For example, in the screenshot above the user is looking at the main Statistics page showing DOI registrations for all Members. Clicking the Download CSV button will download a CSV file that contains all of this information. If you would like a CSV that contains only your DOI registrations, first filter the view to show only your Repository, and then click Download CSV.
You can retrieve any of the information in the DataCite Statistics portal via our REST API. See the REST API reference for more information.
Would you like to know more?
If you have any questions, requests or ideas please contact us!
Updated 6 months ago