The current version of the DataCite Metadata Schema is 4.0. You can learn more about it here.
- DataCite Metadata Schema 3.1 (Released 16 Oct 2014)
- DataCite Metadata Schema 3.0 (Released 24 Jul 2013)
- DataCite Metadata Schema 2.2 (Released 1 Jul 2011)
- DataCite Metadata Schema 2.1 (Released 28 Mar 2011)
Starting with version 3.0 only major releases will have a new namespace.
The version number is formatted as: Major.Minor
- Major Version — A major release is for adding features that require breaking backward compatibility with previous versions or represent fundamental changes. For a major release, the MAJOR component is incremented by one and the MINOR component is set to zero, e.g. 3.1 to 4.0.
- Minor Version — A minor release is for adding features that do not break backward compatibility with previous versions and for fixing bugs that may or may not break backwards compatibility. For a minor release, the MINOR component is incremented by one, e.g. 3.0 to 3.1.
Would you like to know more?
If you have any questions, requests or ideas please contact us!